CW rushed offstage in Cannes Panic – UPDATED

by May 17, 2013 Awards

French actor and member of the Feature F

The most important news first: don’t worry, everybody is alright!

During a broadcast for Canal Plus, who were just doing interviews on stage with Mr. Waltz and Daniel Auteuil for Le Grand Journal, panic broke off as a man with a suspicious device was spotted. Witnesses reportedly saw a gun and blanks were fired.
The show was interrupted until the man was taken away by police officers.
If there is a connection to the jewel heist which happened earlier today, is so far not yet known.
According to security, nobody was hurt during the incident.

The story is covered by The Hollywood Reporter who also have a video of the incident on their homepage.

UPDATE: Later that day, Mr. Waltz told the Daily Mail that the incident had left him “shaken” and that he feared for his life for a few desperate moments. But do not worry, he also said that he is alright. Luckily, the man only fired blanks and lucky again, he threatened to throw a grenade but had none. According to a police source, the man is believed to be in a mentally instable condition. You can read the story here: Daily Mail.

While there has been no immediate danger, it surely was a scary moment for everybody involved. We can only hope that the possibly crazy man is getting the help he needs.

Profile photo of morane morane May 17, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I watching le grand journal when it’s happend! it was a little scary because the programe was ‘stop’ wich not explantion but the interview continuer after the incident. and christoph (and not christopher again!!!) was so cute and funny like every time

Megan May 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Gah! Just read this story on another website. Never thought I’d hear a wacky story like this involving someone as low-key as Christoph. I’m so exhausted with all the whackjobs in the world today. I’m glad everybody was ok. Please stay safe Christoph!

Profile photo of Jacqueline Gutierrez Jacqueline May 18, 2013 at 11:20 pm

Oh my God! I just saw the news and I just read this note! Thank God Mr. Waltz is alright!
And I hope that everyone in Cannes is ok. What is happening in this world?!

Thank you for telling us this news.

Profile photo of jekkie34 jekkie34 May 19, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I am so relieved that nobody was harmed in this. We now live on a terrifying world….one that most of us were not accustomed to growing up. I pray for everyone’s safety.

Megan May 19, 2013 at 9:05 pm

There is video of the event here: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3ef_1368817108

Nothing graphic or anything.

hilde May 22, 2013 at 7:16 am

well 2 sum up noone got injured or worse but they better not try again, cos some people know what hilde means, and i am quite touchy as far as mr ch.waltz is concerned. stay calm, sincerely yours hilde-helen