Christoph Waltz, Opera director – it’s true!

by April 16, 2013 Der Rosenkavalier

Christoph Waltz, Placido Domingo

In an interview with Frankfurt Allegmeine, Christoph Waltz has revealed that his current project is directing “Der Rosenkavalier” by Richard Strauss at the Vlaamse Opera in Antwerp. Mr. Waltz has been a fan of Opera for a very long time, and he states that directing an opera is an “experiment” for him.

In our Rumor Roundup on July 12, 2012, I published a rumor from Opera Times linking him to directing Renee Fleming in “Der Rosenkavalier” in Covent Garden. It looks like, while that particular location and star are not accurate, “Der Rosenkavalier” opera is true!

We are thrilled at this new direction Mr. Waltz’s career is taking and look foward to seeing where it will lead! Frankfurt Allegmeine has an 8 page interview with Mr. Waltz. We will try to obtain the whole thing and have it translated.

Ellie April 16, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Oh My God. Good luck for Mr. Waltz!

Avatar of Kelley (Sacher) Kelley (Sacher) April 16, 2013 at 1:09 pm

It’s a huge challenge but obviously he thinks he can do it. I think he can do it, with his passion for opera and knowledge of acting and direction (and of course, the stage work he’s done in the past).

I really am glad he’s doing what makes him happy, and embracing what may well be a dream of his.

My only wish is that I could go to Antwerp to attend the show and support him.

Avatar of jekkie34 jekkie34 April 16, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Wonder how much flights to Antwerp are? ;)

Avatar of Kelley (Sacher) Kelley (Sacher) April 16, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Ha! I’m not even sure I know which country Antwerp is in… bah, what the hell, it’s only money. Bye bye tax return.

Avatar of Jacqueline Gutierrez Jacqueline April 16, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I am very happy to hear this wonderful news! I am also a fan of Opera and “Der Rosenkavalier”
is one of my favorites! I am very happy and proud of Mr. Waltz!

I wish Mr. Waltz all my best for this new wonderful project!

The music of Richard Strauss, the libretto by Hugo von Hofmannsthal and now the Direction of Christoph Waltz! This is my dream come true! “Der Rosenkavalier”!

Avatar of Kelley (Sacher) Kelley (Sacher) April 16, 2013 at 1:59 pm

Things start in December (Dec. 15), so… flying into Brussels from my local airport is $1100. And that’s cheap class.

I wonder how expensive tickets are and if they are sold out already?

Train tickets are affordable actually… so… global meet-up anyone?

Leyla April 16, 2013 at 2:22 pm

That’s some news…I’m really glad now he is able to fulfil a dream or two! He’s going to be great, I’m sure.
By the way, I’m already checking flights too. The good thing about Western Europe is, it’s not too large :D
I have about 8 months to learn something about opera (though I’m Italian, I know absolutely nothing), I can make it!

Avatar of karen alwaysthesea Karen April 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I love this news.

ingridHarvey April 16, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I knew he was spectacular. He probably can do anything!!!

Megan April 16, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Christoph is probably the very definition of Renaissance Man. He can do just about anything, especially when it comes to the arts.

Clara April 18, 2013 at 3:57 am

Hey. The rumors about Covent Garden aren’t completely false. The Play will premiere in Antwerp and play there until 2016 and will then move to Covent Garden where Renee Fleming will indeed sing a part.

Rosenda RWR April 22, 2013 at 10:49 am

Precisely, that’s what I love about Cristoph, he’s not afraid to do new things, he’s a true artist.