The Congratulations Project – Final Thoughts

by March 3, 2013 About Christoph Waltz Fans.com

Ophelia Grace Uk

by Ophelia Grace

Dear Friends,

Today is the final day for submissions to our Congratulations Project for Mr. Waltz.

In the three years of running CWF, I have never experienced quite such a response to our projects as this one. Over 150 messages. 80 works of art. Letters from every continent except Antarctica. Letters in English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and Japanese.

One of the privileges of being in this position is that I, also, get to read your letters as I am compiling them into the final project. Some of your letters made me laugh, made me groan, and some of them made me cry. All of them – however – are such a testament to the power that movies and the actor has. An actor, by taking up a role, causes us to emotionally join with him in his performance or to emotionally reject him. We witness the story his character is taking us through, and, at it’s best, we feel we are with him in the story. For the two hours he is on screen, we travel with him through whatever journey he is embarking upon. This opens an actor up to being our avatar in this world, to cry for us, to laugh for us. We draw parallels with the character’s travails to our own lives. Such is the nature of the global culture we exist in, that actors now are not only playing a role on screen, but off as well – in the press and media. Their stories form our perceptions of them. We “like” them or “hate” them depending on what they choose to do in their private lives. We see their ups and downs and can relate to them as people. They become real to us.

Mr. Waltz’s story is unique as it resonates with everyone who -did not- immediately rise to the top. I believe it holds it’s appeal in that it is one of very few tales where the good guy didn’t immediately have life made easy for him. He worked at it. Every day. Through every TV role. Through the months and years. He stuck at it when the win wasn’t forthcoming. When the acclaim wasn’t happening. When the film roles were uninteresting, boring and poorly made. It’s not glamorous. It’s not the stuff that we see on the silver screen. It’s real life. We don’t all get Oscars after 30 years. For most of us we will live lifetimes without a significant “pat on the head”. Yet, we do it because that is the stuff that is real, and true, and tangible. And Mr. Waltz has shown us how to do it with class. How to be gracious. How to put aside the dream and work through the real stuff we are all mired in. This is the one common thread I feel in nearly all of the letters in this project – Mr. Waltz, through his public persona, has given people hope.

Hope is the one emotion that is the hardest to define but the most crucial. One can live without love, yet one cannot live without hope. Once hope is gone, the will to live dies. Mr. Waltz’s hope became real when he won his Prix d’interpretation Masculin, and then became embodied when he won the first Oscar. We have cheered him on, watching this unassuming man from Vienna have the pinnacle of his career descend upon him, and fully change his life from the outside-in. This is the stuff of legends. This is proof that one must never, ever, let go of one’s dream.

I thank all of you for sharing your stories and writing your letters to Mr. Waltz, and for trusting me with your words and artwork. It is an honor to give your words to him so that he can understand exactly what he means to us, and why we are proud to identify as Christoph Waltz Fans.

With love and best wishes,
Kelley (Sacher)
Founder, Admin
ChristophWaltzFans.com

PS: If you have not submitted your letter yet, you have until midnight tonight (GMT -5)! Email it to sacher@christophwaltzfans.com

Avatar of alizabeth Alizabeth March 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Thank you Ms. Sacher for doing this for all of us. This means so much to all of us, and we would not have been able to convey our love and appreciation without you and this site.

Ines March 3, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Dear Sacher,

I believe what you wrote represents exactly what most of the fans feel, I couldn’t have said it in a better way. Thank you so much for all the efforts that give us fans the opportunity to express what we think.
I am glad that I have found this website !!!

Ines

Rebecca March 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Exactly. Very well said. Thanks ever so much!

I. March 3, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Masterfully said, Satcher. I’m so happy you are running this site and chosen by Mr Waltz to be an administrator and creator of his personal fanpage. If I wore a hat like King Schultz did I would bare my head in your honour.

You’ve done so much for the fans and I dare say for Mr Waltz.
THANK YOU for your time and effort!

Thank you for posting this lovely message, Sacher! :D
Everything you said is so true.

Ophelia Grace March 3, 2013 at 4:22 pm

There isn’t much more I can add in ways of thanks, as everyone has pretty much expressed my thoughts and feelings about the project already, but I am very grateful for what you have put together and flattered that you would include my art in this post!

leea.f March 3, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Thank you for all ms. Sacher !

Avatar of karen alwaysthesea Karen March 3, 2013 at 5:09 pm

This is lovely, Kelley. No other actor has made me identify with and feel for a character in the way that Mr. Waltz has. And yes, his own personal career story makes me feel that the struggles we go through are worth it. I had a hard time saying in my letter just how I felt. But in the end, I could not help but be inspired by Mr. Waltz himself, who manages to communicate so beautifully, both through his characters and in his interviews. In that, he is really an inspiration.

I am so very grateful to you for making this possible. Danke schöne, Kelley! xo

brenda March 3, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Beautifully and perfectly stated!! Thank you for putting it into words!!

amelia March 3, 2013 at 8:54 pm

this is just beautiful. well said!

Dana March 3, 2013 at 10:56 pm

That was so beautiful. Sacher, I believe that you are an Author. What an honor to read that. It could not be said any better and what you wrote is EXACTLY how I feel. Many blessings to you and your family. Let us know when your first book is published. You’ll need a fan club. ; )

Avatar of Jacqueline Gutierrez Jacqueline March 3, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Thank you so much for your lovely message, Sacher!
I confess that your beautiful letter made me cry of happiness.
I am so happy that I found the Christoph Waltz Fans website and
it’s an honor for me to share my admiration for Mr. Waltz with the many
wonderful fans of this site! :-)
Thank you again Sacher!

What a beautiful message, Sacher, putting together all our hopes and dreams and stating what mr. Waltz’s carreer and art mean for all of us.

Guilherme March 4, 2013 at 9:56 am

I’ve been just confirmed that my entry was selected! I’m really happy I’ll be able to deliver my warmest regards to one of the humblest persons I have ever seen – which thanfully decided to be an actor!

Thank you for all you’ve done for us, Sacher! =)
You’re an angel!!!^^

Stephanie March 4, 2013 at 3:25 pm

What a beautiful message, Sacher! It is so gratifying to be part of this community that you have created.

marybel March 4, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Thanks for this amazing work Kelley, your words are more than perfect.

Avatar of mybabybluegirl mybabybluegirl March 5, 2013 at 12:00 am

Adding my praise to the messages above, Sacher. Absolutely beautiful words that express how all of us feel about this great actor and human being. I’m so happy to have found this site, and to part of the CWF community, and thank you and your team for their hard work for making this site one that Mr. Waltz can be proud. Bravo!

IngridHarvey March 9, 2013 at 4:24 am

Dear,dear Mr,Watz, It is not only your work that is inspiring, YOU as a human being touches my soul. Bless you always and continued success. May I have the privlege of wprking with you one day. I am trying to get back to acting after raising foster and grandchildren! Love & Prayers, Ingrid Quin Harvey

Rosenda Rose March 15, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Qué bonito lo dijiste, desafortunadamente no vi esto a tiempo, sino por supuesto habría mandado mi carta, me emocioné tanto cuando ganó el Oscar que abrazé a mi perro muy fuerte, yo recuerdo que vi cuando ganó por Bastardos sin gloria, y quise después ver la película y nunca pude la vi no hace mucho y quedé encantada con Cristoph, pero realmente me enamoré de su trabajo y persona cuando vi Django no puedo creer lo encantador que es el Dr. King Schultz, salí del cine gritando a los 4 vientos mi admiración por Cristoph Waltz y desde entonces he visto la mayoría de sus películas y estoy encantada con lo que veo, la cereza del pastel fue su participación en SNL jajajaja aún me rio con los sketches y fue un gran regalo de cumpleaños ya que cumplí 26 años el 16 de febrero y esa es la fecha en que salió el show, en fin podría continuar hora y horas en halagos hacia el sr. Waltz que se ha convertido en mi actor favorito y cada día me cautiva con esa sonrisa a la cual yo llamo la sonrisa más bella del planeta.